A picture is worth a thousand words. But what exactly makes people share, like, pin and repin certain images more often than others? Curalate‘s experts examined textures, colors, brightness, color saturation, and aspect ratios for a total of 30 different visual characteristics of over half million images on Pinterest.
The objective of the study was to help marketers predict which images would drive higher consumer engagement. The findings are presented in the infographic below and contain valuable and actionable tips and suggestions. They are based on Pinterest data but can also be applied to Facebook and Instagram.
Tips For Getting More Repins on Pinterest
- Images with multiple colors get repinned 3.25 times more than the ones with a single dominant color.
- Medium lightness outpins very light and very dark images 8 to 1 and 20 to 1 respectively. Don’t post images that are too light or too dark, stay natural.
- 50% color saturation works the best. These images perform 4 times better that the ones with 100% saturation and receive a whopping 10 times more repins that images totally desaturated.
- Red beats blue. The winning combination is red, orange and brown as these images are receiving 2 times the number of repins as the blue ones.
- Strive for less than 30% background.
- Images without faces sport almost 25% more repins. Only 20% of images on Pinterest feature a face.