On page SEO is probably the easiest thing you can do to your pages to improve their ranking, provide a better experience for your readers and bring more traffic. The other one is content.
Unlike off page SEO what happens on your page is entirely up to you. When you create content, work on an article or a product review it is essential to remember the basics of on page SEO. This handy list will help you format and present your content better. On page SEO is not as difficult as it seems. Just don’t ignore the following rules.
On page SEO checklist
1. Make your page’s URL short and make sure it contains your keyword.
2. Use the keyword in the title – the closer to the beginning the better. For example this post’s keyword is “on page SEO.” See what we did?
3. Don’t be afraid to use videos, pictures and charts. These tend to engage the visitors longer and it’s a good thing.
4. Add outbound links. It is not about you but your readers. Provide them with quality information and direct them to relevant sources. It also happens to be good for your Page Rank.
5. Use your keyword at the beginning of the article – ideally in the first 100 words.
6. Your post title is really important. Let Google know it by adding the H1 tag to it.
7. Make it fast. Nobody is going to wait for your page to load. Optimize the images and clean up the code. Better yet, start using a CDN. We like Cloudflare as they offer a free plan.
8. Modify your title by adding words like “guide”, “best” or “review” to rank better for long tail versions of your keyword.
9. Add the social sharing buttons to your page to make it easy for your readers to share your amazing content. Hint, hint.
10. Try to write longer posts. The absolute minimum is 300 words.
11. Keep readers engaged to cut the bounce rate. Clean up your design, use pictures and write compelling copy.
12. No on page optimization is complete without adding LSI keywords aka related keywords. Look them up in the Google Adwords Keyword Tool.